Senior 3D Character Artist
Bonfire is looking for a Senior 3D Character Artist to help us populate the world of our new original IP. Our future artists are team members who bring a game developer mindset and thrive on collaborating with other talented developers. You will apply your imagination, creativity, technical execution, and facility in current industry standard techniques towards bringing unique and visually compelling character designs to life.
Bonfire Studios is a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment where every developer’s voice shapes the company, the game, and the tasks we work on each day. As a character artist on a small, focused team, you will have the opportunity to help shape our new IP and create amazing experiences for our players.
About this role...
- You will use your skills in modeling and sculpting, texturing, UV Layout, and material creation to develop high quality 3D characters that will populate our worlds.
- You will collaborate within multi-disciplinary teams focused on developing the characters from concept to completion. Your ideas and input are welcomed and valued; our team members inspire each other.
- You will ensure that character assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the game design.
- You will conduct research for reference materials and push the overall quality.
- You will collaborate with other disciplines to make sure artwork delivers visual fidelity and gameplay needs.
- You'll wear many hats, have ample opportunity to utilize your prior experience creating characters, and also be supported in experimenting with new areas of interest to you.
- Your ultimate impact on the studio will be unbounded; we lean on each other's passions and embrace one another's unique perspectives on game development to help us all grow as a team together. You will have many opportunities to contribute to areas of the game and the company outside your core focus.
We’re excited about you because you…
- Believe, as we do, that great games are the product of great teams that put their people first.
- Ideally have 5+ years of experience as a 3D Character Artist, with at least one shipped AAA game.
- You have a keen aesthetic eye for human anatomy / organic forms, material definition, color theory, 2D & 3D design.
- Have proficiency in Maya (or any 3D modeling package), Photoshop, ZBrush and Texture creation/Material editing (Substance Painter/Unreal/Unity).
- Have familiarity with video game development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, PBR material setup, character skinning, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, and engine parameters/optimizations.
- Want to have a large impact while collaborating with other talented developers in a tight knit AAA studio, rolling up your sleeves and using your passions and interests to shape your role at the company.
- Thrive on collaboration and communicate well with developers of all disciplines.
- Are open, humble, eager, and excited about learning and contributing in multiple areas of the studio. Your curiosity propels you to jump in and dive deep on new problems.
- Value building trust with the people you work with.
- Value working with a diverse team and welcome different perspectives.
- Have a growth mindset and also care about helping others develop.
- Are as passionate about the creative process and developing games as we are!
You’ll love working at Bonfire because we…
- Have strong values that include transparency, ownership, and trust. We are a people-first studio that also strives for a high bar of excellence in our creations.
- Celebrate craft expertise because we are a small, tight-knit group of highly experienced game developers who are as passionate about our team as we are our game.
- Offer opportunities to learn and contribute beyond your focused discipline in areas of interest or passion.
- Practice candor and feedback, leveling ourselves and each other up in the process.
- Play games and have fun together, kindling our own love for games and learning about each other.
The base salary range for this position is $148,600 - $236,133. The range doesn't tell the whole story - we are always open to candidates at different stages in their careers and consider candidates' potential impact holistically, not just their years of experience or skill level. There is also more to our total comp package than salary, we offer equity to every new hire as well as a comprehensive benefits package and more. We will be happy to share more about our compensation opportunities when we chat with you!