Senior Gameplay Software Engineer
We’re looking for an exceptional engineer and a game designer in one -- a passionate, lifelong gamer who wants to be on the front lines of game development. Our first game is hinged on our moment-to-moment gameplay and nailing the crisp feel of networked character gameplay. You’ll mind meld with our world-class development team to help create our first title using data-oriented tools and technology.
Bonfire Studios is a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment where every developer’s voice shapes the company, the game, and the tasks we work on each day. If you’re ready to collaborate with us, while becoming a true owner in your own AAA studio, please reach out!
About the role...
- You will use your keen eye for good game design, high quality bar, and data-oriented design approach to stand up end-to-end gameplay features, translating creative visions into technical realities that allow content creators to iterate using tools with minimal engineering intervention.
- You’ll be developing features, tools and technology leveraging Unity’s new Data-Oriented Tech Stack in C#. Your additional experience in other platforms, programming languages, and scripting technologies will be appreciated and put to good use.
- Your main focus will be on gameplay. You will drive end-to-end features, understanding and shaping the design, standing up the system architecture needed to bring it to life in-game, gathering feedback from engineers, content creators, and players and utilizing it to iterate and refine your work.
- You’ll wear many hats, have ample opportunity to utilize your prior experience shipping multiplayer games, and also be supported in experimenting with new areas of interest to you.
- Your experience and passion will push the boundaries of our gameplay. From character physics to AI or from networked animation to control feel, you will enable us to create the highest quality gameplay experience for our players.
- Your ultimate impact on the studio will be unbounded; we lean on each other's passions and embrace one another's unique perspectives on game development to help us all grow as a team together. You will have many opportunities to contribute to areas of the game and the company outside your core focus.
You’re interested in this opportunity because you...
- Believe, as we do, that great games are the product of great teams that put their people first.
- Thrive on collaboration and are excited about jumping into a non-hierarchical, peer-supported, and self-directed environment.
- Want to have a large impact while collaborating with other talented developers in a tight knit AAA studio, rolling up your sleeves and using your passions and interests to shape your role at the company.
- Are passionate about players’ moment-to-moment experiences in the games you develop and excited to bring those moments to life through code.
We're excited about you because you...
- Have deep gameplay programming experience on shipped titles.
- Collaborate well with developers of all disciplines.
- Are open, humble, eager, and excited about learning and contributing in multiple areas of the studio. Your curiosity propels you to jump in and dive deep on new problems.
- Clearly articulate engineering architectural designs and tradeoffs with fellow engineers and non-technical developers.
You'll love working at Bonfire because we...
- Are a small, tight-knit group of game developers who are as passionate about our team as we are our game. (Learn more about our team here!)
- Each engineer has areas of responsibility but we avoid technical silos -- we all support and pitch in across the codebase, and the whole is greater than the sum of our parts.
- Practice candor and feedback, leveling ourselves and each other up in the process.
- Play games and have fun together, kindling our own love for games and learning about each other.