Bonfire Studios is a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment where every developer’s voice shapes the company, the game, and the tasks we work on each day. As the Art Director on a small, focused team, you will lead the artistic vision on our first video game IP. The opportunity for adding significant value and having a positive impact is immense, in regards to both the teams you will work with and our game.
In this role, you will…
- Direct the art team towards a vision for look/feel that fits within the overall vision for the game, ensuring cohesion and alignment.
- Guide art team towards a high but executable quality bar while respecting the constraints of gameplay and tech, and while also allowing space for artists’ autonomy and exploration.
- Ensure holistic consistency in look/feel/quality across all visuals including concept, 3D, animation, and VFX.
- Invest in and bring out the best in the artists, as individuals and as a team.
- Engage in overall IP development - collaborating with lore, publishing, etc.
- Work closely with other vision holders to maintain a shared alignment and understanding of overall game goals and player experience (game direction), as well as what is possible (tech), and processes/pipelines (production) that can be understood by the art team and that serves decision making.
- Help drive innovation and identify opportunities for evolving style and quality.
- Inspire the art team - ie; what is artistically possible for our game?
- Be involved in hiring processes, such as determining skill gaps in team, assessing artistic talent, and engaging with candidates
- Potentially do hands on artistic work as needed to help guide vision, such as paintovers, style guides, color keys, and/or asset creation.
- Raise flags and escalate concerns in regards to team health, individual performance, morale, etc.
We’re excited about you because you…
- Have experience as an Art Director on a video game/s from concept to ship.
- Demonstrate exceptional artistic judgment and taste; have a history of driving teams towards a compelling and beautiful artistic vision for the games you’ve worked on.
- Are passionate about developing art specifically for games. You are adept at connecting art to the needs of gameplay, and nurture an informed understanding of the player experience vision for the game. You play the games you work on and find opportunities to push the artistic possibilities to help create a rich experience for players.
- Ideally have live game experience, and are familiar with how art can bring new experiences to life for players in a live game setting.
- Have team-first leadership values and are people-focused, demonstrating empathy and investing in teams to unlock their potential.
- Can connect details to the big picture, aligning artistic vision both in the weeds with the team and at the bird’s eye view level.
- Understand the roles and needs of different disciplines within a broader art team.
- Value building trust with the people you work with.
- Value working with a diverse team and welcome different perspectives.
- Have a growth mindset and also care about helping others develop.
- Are as passionate about the creative process and developing games as we are!
You’ll love working at Bonfire because we…
- Have strong values that include transparency, ownership, and trust. We are a people-first studio that also strives for a high bar of excellence in our creations.
- Celebrate craft expertise because we are a small, tight-knit group of highly experienced game developers who are as passionate about our team as we are our game.
- Offer opportunities to learn and contribute beyond your focused discipline in areas of interest or passion.
- Practice candor and feedback, leveling ourselves and each other up in the process.
- Play games and have fun together, kindling our own love for games and learning about each other.